Save your shoeboxes! Operation Christmas Child – COMPETITION

For the last few years I’ve been in this happy little baby bubble. I don’t really have time to watch the news or read a paper and so have been quite detached from what is really going on in the world. Save the Children and Z starting school has brought me back down to earth a little bit, and made me really appreciate how lucky I am.

After a conversation at Save the Children with Maggy from Red Ted Art, I decided I wanted to do something worthwhile. Z and S have been getting quite a few lovely parcels recently thanks to my blog, so I want to spread a bit of that happiness. With that in mind, I have organised a competition.

All you have to do to enter is make a christmas shoe box for Operation Christmas Child, and upload a photo of the box to my facebook page. All details of how to make a box are on the Operation Christmas Child website.

Michelle Twin Mum is doing a big push locally for her son’s school, and this brilliant post is full of great ideas for your box.

Helen from The Crazy Kitchen has very kindly compiled this list of ideas for toys you might want to include.

Boys

Toys car & vehicles, plastic animals, dinosaurs, action men, hair comb, Lego, tennis ball, small footballs, toy medals, sweat bands, inflatable balls.

Girls

Bracelets, wooden jewellery, skipping rope, barbie dolls, hairbrush, hair bobbles, hairslides, friendship bracelets, knitted purses and bags, fairy wands, necklaces, clip-on earrings.

Unisex

Bouncy balls, pencils, notepads, felt tip pens, biros, colouring books, puzzle books, pencil sharpeners, erasers, toothbrushes, toothpaste,yo-yos, small puzzles, rulers, tracing stencils, crayons, bars of soap, flannel, small musical instruments – flutes, recorders, whistles, triangle, mouth organ, tambourine, finger puppets, hand puppets, chalk boards and chalk, novelty keyrings, knitted hats & scarves, stickers, sunglasses

As well as the above you can add sweets with long use by dates, but not chocolates

I have 5 lovely prizes which have been donated, there will be 5 winners each winning one of the prizes below.

A set of Bath Toys from Brother Max

A set of Freya Lingerie.

A £25 voucher for Big Blue Cuddle – Big Blue Cuddle donates a portion of every sale to charity, all details are on their website.

LEGO DUPLO, Play With Numbers set, donated by Digital Outlook.

A HOP goody bag, donated by Digital Outlook.

Massive thanks to everyone who donated a prize.

I would LOVE for us to get 100 boxes made, PLEASE help this worthy cause. Operation Christmas Child do some amazing work, you can see some of the shoebox stories here.

To Enter:

• Make a shoe box full of lovely toys and treats following the Operation Christmas Child guidelines.
  • Upload a photo of the shoe box to my facebook page, or Science Sparks Facebook page.
  • Leave me a comment on this post to tell me you have done so.
  • You can enter as many times as you want. One entry per box.
  • Please leave a separate comment for each shoe box you have made and uploaded a photo of.
Winners will be drawn at random from all entries.

Competition closes November 15th 2011. Boxes must be delivered to drop off points between 1st and 18th November by the entrant. Details here.

Uk delivery addresses only please.

Big thanks also to Multiple Mummy and Red Ted Art for their support as always. xx

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS

Comments

1. says

Well done for highlighting this. I already do it as a part of my toddler group so won’t be able to take part for this chance. We pool all our resources and try to get 10-20 boxes together.

2. says

This is a fab idea and I wish I’d heard about it sooner! I will definitely be preparing a shoebox with my children. I wonder if I might be able to get my daughter’s school on board, I’ll see if I can speak to them about it this week.

3. says

We had so much fun making ours! My mum used to make one every year from me and now it’s nice to carry on with my two. I’ve put the photos on the FB page.
    It’s nice to be organised this year and not leaving it till the last minute, so thanks for the reminder.

4. says

You’ve inspired me to sort my boxes out this afternoon. I’m doing two – one boys’ age 2-6 and the other a girls’ age 6-9. I’ll post a photo later. I think I’m going to blog about it too so will post you a link when I’m done.

5. says

This is such a worthwhile cause. I did it last year with our playgroup and am in the process of filling our shoe box at the moment. Last year we did a toddler box for a little boy. This year for a little girl. J is helping choose some little things to go in for her he’s loving it and I think kind of understands why we are doing it.

6. says

Hi there! My two sons and I had great fun doing ours! Eldest’s school is a collection point. Such a great idea and so cheap to do. We have uploaded our box picture to your FB page. Well done for doing this!

7. says

This is such a great idea! I’m part of a local team who sort & pack the hundreds of shoeboxes from our region, so this is a charity close to my heart. My 3yr old & I are making our box tomorrow so will be linking ours up asap, & sharing your post with others. Thank you again for such a great idea.

8. says

We’ve prepared a box and uploaded a pic to your facebook page.

Me & DD had quite a conversation about where it would go, and how lucky we are to have so many nice things. We included: colouring book and crayons; hair bobbles & slides; toothbrush and toothpaste; small cuddly toy; card games and hat and gloves set for a girl 2-4 yrs.

Thanks so much for spreading the word about this. x

9. rachel spence says

I do this and would love to help you get to 100 – i’ve invited others in my community to do it to.

i’m leaving this message to check i can leave messages (i don;t really get how to leave messages on blogs often they don’t work!)

thanks for the competition,

Rachel

10. Raj Sandhu says

I’ve posted a picture of mine and will be dropping it off at The Entertainer tomorrow :)
    Thanks for promoting such a worthy cause

11. michelle twin mum says

Brilliant effort Emma. I am pleased to say my input for this year is all finished now! I personally made 7 this year and the school did 74. Down on last year but I can only try…

Mich x

12. says

Hi hun, finally done my shoe box. I’ve posted on fb as Claire Sarcone. I also wrote a post yesterday and mentioned you there to spread the word on the fab comp and appeal. I did link to you unsure if worked.

@clairelouise82

13. says

Hooray, its ready :) The Wee Man, Bubby D and I will be going on an outing to drop it off tomorrow afternoon. He’s had great fun putting it together and decorating the box!

14. Anna Aird says

I have put the picture of my shoebox on your Facebook page. Thanks for motivating people to support such a great cause! x

15. rachel spence says

I’ve added 8 photos to your facebook page. I’ve named the people who did the box and if I’m a winner from one of their pictures I’ll of course give them the prize.

thanks for running this comp – please do tell us how many boxes you’ve had uploaded – did we reach 100?? if not i’ve got about another 35 done so you could include those without photos if needed!!!!!!!

Trackbacks