The Magic Faraway Tree – Google Buns

One of my favourite childhood books was The Magic Faraway Tree. I would lose myself for hours in the wonderful world of Silky, Moonface and Saucepan Man and their adventures in the magical lands above the tree.

I have loved reading the series with Z and he seems as entranced as I hoped he would be.

We tried to make the story come to life a little last week, by making our own google buns.

‘The buns were most peculiar. They each had a very large currant in the middle, and this was filled with sherbet. So when you got to the currant and bit it the sherbet frothed out and filled your mouth with fine bubbles that tasted delicious.’

These are definitely a work in progress as the sherbet was a little lacking. Raisins are very hard to fill.

Google Buns

I think I need to make them look a little prettier too.

Google Buns

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I was thinking I might need to add some popping candy?

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS

Comments

1. says

I love this book and this idea, why had I never thought of it! I think popping candy would work better and I think maybe slicing the top off like you would for a butterfly cake, filling with poping candy/sherbet then putting the lid on and putting the currant on top of that? I think a cherry would look nice too. You could always go way out and put popping candy in the middle and make a sherbett buttercream for the top. Can you tell I’m excited about this idea : D *rushes off to write shopping list for tomorrow’s baking*
    Paula recently posted..A poem for my little boyMy Profile

2. says

Ah now I do have a tip. When making a second batch of our stained glass biscuits I ran out of clear fruit sweets and used some sherbet fruit sweets instead. They didn’t work as they frothed up in the baking process and were clear in the biscuit. But they did give a fizzy sticky centre to the biscuit. So you could try blackcurrant versions of those in your buns!
    Btw I think your children are the luckiest in blogland that they have you for a mother. Mine are super-jealous ;)
    Actually Mummy… recently posted..Book review: Monty and Milli: the totally amazing magic trickMy Profile

3. says

I adored Enid Blyton books (although I’ve recently been pondering how dark and full of wickedness they are) and The Magic Faraway Tree was one of my favourites. I always wondered what google buns (I’ve just realised that I always read that as goggle!) would taste like! I wonder if you could soak the raisins to make them swell up first?
    TheBoyandMe recently posted..The Perfect Hot ChocolateMy Profile

4. says

What a fabulous idea! How about using sun-maid little dried prunes instead and stuffing that with sherbert, might be less fiddly! Love your imagination, bet the children loved helping you make them! :)
    Emma recently posted..Silent SundayMy Profile

5. says

Oh, I used to love these books! That’s a fab idea. Glad to see this generation is still reading the classic authors. Can’t wait until my daughter is old enough for me to read these stories. I think popping candy sounds like a great addition.
    lauren recently posted..What to get for a baby shower?My Profile

6. Tegan says

im 10 and love the book too!!!!!!!! It is great and all that everyone likes the book but I came on here FOR GOOGLE BUNS!

Trackbacks