We’ve just returned from a lovely holiday where we had many a BBQ in the beautiful French sunshine, and what better accompaniment to a BBQ than a wonderful summer salad made with Apetina to give it that extra special twist.
We’ve only recently discovered Apetina cheese and little H loves it.
This is my Apetina recipe which I think goes perfectly alongside some barbequed chicken or pork.
- 1 whole uncooked beetroot
- loads of watercress
- 1 lemon
- extra Virgin olive oil
- Apetina cheese
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 plum
- 1/4 small red cabbage
- dash of red wine vinegar
- Smoked Mackerel
- Cannellini beans
This delicious, colourful and fresh dish is simple to assemble. The saltiness of the Apetina cheese complements the sweetness of the plum and the beetroot and lemon ensure that the salad is dressed as it’s made.
1. Peel and very finely slice the beetroot – the thinner the better, I used a mandolin but a good peeler will also do the trick or a very sharp knife
2. Place the slices in a bowl and layer them with alternate squeezes of the lemon juice and the zest and some salt.
3. Very finely slice (as above) the red cabbage and place in a bowl with a dash of the red wine vinegar. Not too much, it’s just to add a hint of flavour and bring out the redness of the cabbage.
4. Very finely slice and put to one side the carrot, plum and red pepper. With the carrots I also sliced them into matchstick sized lengths
5. After about 10 minutes add some extra virgin olive oil to the beetroot and mix it through.
6. Start to roughly layer a salad bowl with all of your ingredients, don’t be too neat. Use the juices in the beetroot bowl liberally whenever possible.
7. Add a tin of cannellini beans and some smoked mackerel.
Don’t forget to head on over to the Apetina Facebook page where you can vote for your favourite salad, view other great recipes and also be in with the chance of winning a BBQ!